Saturday, May 31, 2008

Leaving Auckland, May 30,2008

What a day it's been! I thought my last day in Auckland would be relaxing, but no. In my usual style I ended up running around trying to pack too much into the day. The movers were late, coming at almost 9AM to get my last 5 boxes (everything else had been packed up and removed the week before). I was supposed to be out the door by 10:00. I made it by 10:15, not bad. Then off to the chiro for one last adjustment (I told him it had to be good enough to last for 2 1/2 months). Then to meet Brad for lunch and finally for a mani /pedi. I made it to the office a little after 3PM to send a couple of last minute emails and then at 4:00 I left for the airport.

Sounds simple, doesn't it? I left for the airport. It was actually much harder than that. After 6 years of blood, sweat and more than a few tears I left the Auckland office. I wouldn't be coming in on Monday (well, Tuesday since it's long weekend in Auckland). I've never worked so hard (or so long) in one place. I've never accomplished as much as I have there. In the end I had to run out the door, not being able to look anyone in the eye, much less leave them with hugs barely making it before I dissolved in tears. I cried half way to the airport and a bit on the plane. I'm crying a bit now writing this. But all in all I know it's the right choice and I leave feeling so pleased with Megs taking over and the people in the office now. No one's irreplaceable and life will go on. Now I'm going on to my next big adventure.

I knew a trip like this would not be without hitches and my first one came before I even left work. My suitcase broke. I couldn't put the handle down so I had deal with that, which turned out to be not much of a hassle...I just had to check it into over sized bags. Funnily enough, when it came out on the other end, in San Francisco it came out in the regular baggage. My much smaller yoga mat came out in over sized bags. Go figure.

Now, for any of you who have ever read "The Secret" I'm here to tell you it works. Ronil at work suggested I upgrade to business class so I could sleep. Not a bad idea, so I did the day before I left. At least I thought I did. I was put on upgrade standby. I kept thinking about it and imagining myself reclining in the new seats that Air New Zealand has that actually fold down completely horizontally into a bed. When I got to the airport I bypassed the huddling masses in line and went straight to premium check in. Turns out they didn't have my upgrade in the computer. I won't bore you all with the gory details but there was something messed up in my records. I spent the next hour and 1/2 trying to sort it out with Air New Zealand and House of Travel (it became my mission in the end) and they finally got it sorted. So, I go to the gate with my upgrade request and my knowledge that there were still 2 seats available in Business Class - only to find out that there were 23 people on the wait list. I, apparently was number 14.

To add insult to injury, for some reason my seat was changed to one further back. I hate riding in the back of the plane so the woman at the gate called to find out why. Never did find out the reason but she managed to put me back in my original seat in cattle class firmly telling me there would be no upgrade today. As I was walking away from the counter however the phone rang and I heard her say, really? She called my back to the counter to hand my my boarding pass for seat 1J - in Business Class. I could have kissed her!

This upgrade stuff is quite extraordinary. The seats are incredible. I felt like Mork from Mork and Mindy in my own little egg. You get a footrest (that doubles as a guest seat so you can entertain), a big seat that can be in any position during take off and landing, and the aforementioned bed. Pretty cool. Not to mention the service. Bubbly before take off and a 4 course dinner. The food wasn't much better than back in cattle class but there certainly was a lot of it.

The bed didn't help me to sleep though. I've had insomnia for the last 2 weeks and it was not going to be abated that night. Shame though, I never have trouble sleeping on planes and when I get an actual bed I lie tossing and turning.

Watched 3 movies though. "Charlie Wilson's War" (Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts and the ever brilliant Phillip Seymour Hoffman). Written by Aaron Sorkin, another perennial fav. Awesome. I also watched Bonneville with Jessica Lange and Cathy Bates. Not too bad. During breakfast I watched a doco on Annie Liebowitz. Really cool, especially for the burgeoning photographer I fancy myself to be.

No comments: