Saturday, May 31, 2008

San Diego, May 31, 2008

Barely.

Well, the insomnia continues. I fell dead asleep at 8:30 after gorging myself on Mexican food but woke up at 11:30 wide awake. Thought I'd take the opportunity to write this. I don't know how much time I'll have during the first Tony Robbins course I'll have, or even if I'll have anything memorable or interesting to write.

My first few hours in the States were predictable. I was struck with the low grade irritation I always get when I first arrive. Americans are loud. They just are. I know I am one, but put us in a group and, my God, it's deafening sometimes. We can also be brash and completely unaware of ourselves. It puts my nerves on end when I first get here. That, and the technology and amount of information that bombards you from every source possible. Cell phones, PDA's, lap tops...they're everywhere and everyone has one. Myself included by the way. You'll have to pry my new iPod touch out of my cold dead hands. :) But it's overwhelming to see everyone connected all the time. Then there is the constant stream of cable TV shouting new headlines and sports at you constantly. Does my head in.

But that doesn't even compare to the annoyance that I feel from hearing the PA at the airport blather on about "security condition orange", whatever that is, or the flight attendant on the Southwest flight from San Francisco to San Diego advising us not to stand in line at the bathroom door and not to pass anyone in the aisle for heaven's sake!!!! People have asked me why I'm not moving back to the States? This paragraph sums it up. Why would I want to live in a place where security levels are a way of life and you can't stand in line when you have to pee? Why does anyone want to live in a society like that? Hopefully the next election will see us "throw the bums out" and we can all stand up and say enough! But I think that's being optimistic. Scare mongering is big business and I'm afraid the Dems will want to cash in just as much as the Republicans have. Okay, enough of my rant on George Bush. I really will be up all night.

Dinner was not memorable, unfortunately. I asked for a recommendation on Mexican (Sorry Don I lost that email with yours) and was told to go to Jose's Courtroom. It was a very loud Cantina with 2 screens showing 2 different ESPN channels. I was watching a baseball game and could not for the life of me figure out who was playing...until I realised it was a college game. You know you're in the US when... The Piston's were also playing the Celtics in an NBA playoff game but I couldn't see that TV as well. Two margaritas, possibly the worst queso I've ever had and some totally average fajitas...it was a disappointment to say the least. But, there's always tomorrow night.

Okay, so I feel like I have to put something positive in about being back "home". And the positives really have to be the level of service that you get here. While New Zealand is certainly not as bad as Australia and, God knows, the UK it just doesn't compare to the US. I've decided I don't mind tipping. I like be served professionally, quickly, efficiently and in a friendly manner and I'm happy to pay for it.

My room mate arrives tomorrow and the course starts Sunday. Hopefully I'll have a chance to relax and, dare I say it? Sleep!!!! Not to mention buying a cell phone, lap top and, oh yeah...a new suitcase.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alfonso's of La Jolla
1251 Prospect (main drag in the village)
858-454-2232