Saturday, May 31, 2008

San Diego, 31 May 2008

Technically it's the first of June, just after midnight. Yes, I'm still awake. I did manage to sleep late into the morning this morning so feel pretty good. My room mate, a woman named Janet arrived this morning. We had a great breakfast in the dining room, registered for the course which begins tomorrow and I went off to the mall.

Ahhh, the mall. I truly know I'm in the States now. All of my favourite stores. Big stores with lots of stuff. The variety, the selection, the price! Dollar for dollar everything is so much cheaper than it is in New Zealand. I'm enjoying the high exchange rate.

I didn't do a lot of browsing though. I was on a mission. New laptop (Macbook Pro after almost an hour deliberating between that and the Macbook Air). I chose power and really, really clear, crisp graphics over weight. I may come to regret my decision over the next two months of travelling. I also bought software including Adobe Photoshop (at the request of the burgeoning photographer) and a new case for my iPod so I can wear it on my hip when I work out. Now I'm set...or will be once I get the hot pink neoprene case in which to cocoon my new baby. Had to order that online (which, of course I did from my new iPod). :)

I also bought a new chain for the beautiful pendant that my office gave me (cats eye shell...another piece of New Zealand) so I can wear that along with the extraordinary piece of greenstone that my HD committee gave me before I left.

Finally I carried it all home in my new suitcase. It's smaller than my old one. Again, I hope I don't regret that decision during the next two months. At least it will force me to pack light(ish).

Before I left the mall though I treated myself to one of the true luxuries of being Stateside...Ben and Jerry's ice cream. A double scoop of Cherry Garcia and a new flavour I hadn't yet encountered. Cinnamon Bun (think Cinnabon in a cup). Not sure if I spelled that correctly, BTW.

I had a quick dinner at a fondue restaurant I'd never heard of before called The Melting Pot. Great salad with chicken and veggies simmered in a broth fondue. Yummy.

At 6 I had a massage to help me relax so I could sleep tonight...as you can tell that worked well.

Seriously, though my lack of sleep tonight is stage two of being in the States. Mild annoyance being stage one (still going through that a bit today hearing people crack their gum and being exposed to uncountable numbers of mis-behaving (screaming) children. I've said it once I'll say it a thousand times...children in NZ are MUCH better behaved than they are in the States (adults too really).

Stage two is appreciating the good things (Ben and Jerry's and shopping in nice malls with nice stores with lots of shiny things in them). Stage two also has a lot to do with the fact that I'm just now realising, really that I'm on vacation for the next two months. Although I have things to do (places to go, people to see) I don't really have any responsibility. How cool is that?

I lay in bed and this kind of euphoria came over me. I think it also has to do with the very unique place I am in my life. A break between two lives really and I get to reinvent myself. Again!

No comments: