Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New Coconut Guy, September 14, 2008

I was sitting at the pool today reading the Bhagavad Gita (as you do). The chapter I was reading talked about cycles of life. Actually it talked about the creation and dissolution of the universe and the endless cycles of that creation and dissolution. That was a bit too much to get my head around so I related it to the cycles of life. And so too I was met with a new cycle today. One that I wasn’t sure how I felt about until I learned who he was.

As I walked from the shala there was a truck parked more or less where Bek used to park his, but turned the other way. A young man was tentatively chopping coconuts for the students, assisted by an older man. The young man had a great smile, which should have tipped me off but it wasn’t until later that day at conference that I found out who he was.

Sharath said he didn’t want anyone to take Bek’s place as Bek had served yoga students coconuts for 15 years and he wanted everyone to think about Bek. But then Bek’s son approached Sharath and asked permission to take his father’s place. How could he deny that. And so a new cycle begins, and I’m happy to give my 20 rupees over to him.

No comments: