Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Recap of Leadership Academy and Detroit, 7th June 2008

Insomnia again.  I had cracked it during the week this week and was sleeping quite soundly but only got about 2 hours Thursday night after the course ended due to going to the bar with my fellow participants and celebrating until after 1AM.  My alarm rang at 4:30 and I woke up earlier than that because I was so wired.  I arrived at Vanessa's today (more on that later) and really thought I'd be able to sleep but after an hour woke up and am now pretty wide awake.  I decided to navigate the still very uncertain terrain of the wireless Internet (I got my iPod to work and thought I'd try my laptop).  I'm not sure what I actually did to get it to work but it seems to be working.  That's how I operate though, just start playing with stuff until it works and figure out how it works later (I can feel Brad's frustration all the way across the Pacific and the US).  :)

So the Tony Robbins course that I attended this week was Leadership Academy.  I wasn't really sure what to expect.  You're never really sure what to expect with his courses until you get there.  This is my fifth Tony Robbins event and I have to say the best.  By a mile!  And that's saying something because at least 2 of the first four were pretty freakin' awesome, one was excellent and one was just plain good.  But this one!  Oh my God!  

This one pulled back the curtain and started to expose some of the tools that Tony and his team use to create change in people, systems and environments.  Not only did it expose these tools but it taught them to the participants so that we can all use them in the world to create positive change in our own lives and those we touch.  It's also the first course in my ultimate goal to become a trainer.   I can honestly say that I've never learned as much from one course, book, experience or event than I learned from this one.  That and the fact that Tony's training style (based on Neuro Linguistic Programming amongst other things) makes sure that you have fun learning what you learn.  This was also one of the most fun weeks of my life.  This was all topped by being with the best team I've ever been with and getting to a level with this team that I've never been before, with the possible exception of being in the military...and that experience for me was more from a fringe perspective than right in the middle of it.  This group of people was (is) extraordinary and I was blessed to share this week and to work with each and every one of them.  

So, not only did I learn some tools which will create positive change in my life and hopefully many many other peoples lives, I had a great time doing it and heard some of the best speakers I've ever heard in my life.  

One of our guest speakers was a self-professed "Ragin' Cajun".  An incredible woman who used to work for the FBI doing profiling, coached Bill Clinton through his court appearances, is coaching Barrack Obama right now and has written several books on her subject which is body language.  Her name is a Jan Hargrave.  Another was an even more incredible woman named Robyn Benecasa who is one of the "fittest women in the US.  She was on the first American team in 2000 in Borneo to win the Eco Challenge.  She's a top adventure racer (for those of you who don't know what that is google it and be amazed!!!) a fire fighter for the city of San Diego and an excellent public speaker on team building (you need a good team to race non stop for 10 days in the jungles of Borneo or wherever).  She's also an amazingly feminine and powerful woman.  Definitely a highlight for men and women alike in our crowd.  
As if they had to top that....they invited Charlie Wilson, subject of the new movie "Charlie Wilson's War" starring Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts to talk about his experiences in funding the covert operation against the Russian army in Afghanistan.  The point being, sometimes it only takes one person with persistence and determination to change the world.  Think what you will about the ramifications of that and the rise of Al Quaida, but the man did change the world.  Bless him, he's new to the speaking circuit and it looks as if his fast life has caught up with him healthwise but he was incredibly interesting.

On our last day we saw Chloe Madanes, the US foremost family therapist (voted by her peers 10 years running) who is working with Tony several projects taking this work into the therapeutic community.  She was incredible also.  She sounds and looks a bit like Dr. Ruth but what a force to be reckoned with!  I was truly struck by the lives she's touched.  The amount of people she's kept out of the mental health system and off drugs (prescription) is incredible.  

And if all of the above wasn't enough we ended our 5 days by breaking through an inch thick piece of solid wood.  So, I've now walked on hot coals, jumped off of a 58 foot pole, and smashed through a piece of wood with my bear hands.  There's truly nothing that I can't do after those experiences!!!!

I can't wait to test these new skills out in a couple of weeks when I attend my first course as a leader in San Francisco.

Enough about Tony, on to the rest of my trip.  As I said, I flew to Vanessa's today.  For those of you who don't know her she's my best friend from college and my Matron of Honour from my wedding.  Her middle daughter, Kristen is graduating from high school tomorrow and I flew in to see that and spend time with the family.  All three girls are tremendous, thanks to excellent parenting by Ness and Matt.  Heather, the oldest just finished her freshman year in art school.  She has an incredible talent and is also writing not one, but two books (science fiction / fantasy).  Kristen has been accepted into the honours program at Ohio State (our alma matter) for Chemical Engineering and Robyn, their youngest, will start high school in the fall.  All three have always maintained straight A's, all are into athletics, band and drama.  They are amazing kids and I'm so blessed to be here and be part of the festivities this weekend.  Coincidentally I stood up at Kristen's baptism about 17 years ago when they were living in Florida.  That was the last time Vanessa and I have spent any time alone together.  We're meeting up in Boston week after next for 4 days of girl fun.  I can't wait. 

In addition to seeing Matt, Vanessa and the girls I'm also getting to spend time with Vanessa's parents, whom I haven't seen since their wedding 20 years ago (we all look a bit older).  :)

Okay, that's all for right now.  I'm going to shut down and get some shut eye.  

No comments: