Monday, June 16, 2008

Chicago, 10 - 11 June 008


I got out of the cab at Anna’s door and fell into her arms crying. I hadn’t actually realised that I was so stressed. The lack of sleep due to my bouts of insomnia (much less frequent now, though with the asthma attack of the night before I only had 3 hours), my inability to breath, my flea bites and the general stress of visiting my mother and seeing my soon to be be ex-mother in law for the first time since I left her son had taken it’s toll. Anna is one of those rare friends with whom I can be completely authentic and I knew that I could fall into her arms crying and she’d understand. She’d let me cry.

We had less than 24 hours together but made the most of it, never letting the conversation lag. I worked with her in Austin at TMP. Since then we’ve both gotten married and divorced, she’s had a kid and moved to Chicago and I, of course have moved to New Zealand. This was the first time we’ve been alone together since all of that happened. We had a lot to catch up on and I think we did. We also had a nice lunch and a great sushi dinner (probably the best I’ve ever had...with my Las Vegas sushi connection coming a close second). Thank you for being such a great friend!

No comments: