Monday, June 30, 2008

Phuket, Thailand, June 28, 2008






Pics:  Entrance, Reception area with Thai musicians, View from my room, View from reception, Sunset from reception.

I'm sitting in the bar at the Dusit Thani Laguna in Phuket. I'm overlooking the ocean and what promises to be a beautiful sunset. (Aren't they all? It's Phuket after all).

My goal in coming to Phuket was twofold. First of all, my yoga teachers in Auckland recommended going somewhere to decompress between the frenetic pace of my real life (as well as the three weeks in the States) and India. Thailand is on the way so, why not Thailand? Secondly to start my yoga practice again after not practicing for 3 weeks in the States (bar three partial ones)

I have wanted to come to Phuket specifically for about 15 years or so. My friends Dick and Jeri from Dallas came here on their pre-honeymoon (Dick's travel schedule wouldn't allow them to take a honeymoon after they got married). Jeri described the beauty of Phuket and the fact that she was so relaxed their that she slept for 24 hours straight (much to Dick's chagrin).

If that wasn't enough, Spalding Gray's (may he rest in peace) description of it in "Swimming to Cambodia" mesmerised me. I was hooked and it was a must see.

I can say I haven't been disappointed, but it also hasn't lived up to those unrealistic expectations set 15 years ago. I'm older, more experienced and have certainly seen more of the world than I had then. I've also lived in New Zealand for the last 6 years and, after you've done that, beauty is relative. It's hard to compete with what I think is the most beautiful country on earth. What it does have that NZ does not, however is heat...lots of it and I love it!!! I almost titled this post "it rocks to be hot" or "I was born to be warm". Both are true. I've been sweating since I arrived and I love it. Right now it's a comfortable 80 degrees as the sun sets over the Andaman Sea. There's a warm breeze blowing and I'm in a sleeveless dress.

I went swimming today in said sea and it was like bath water. No wet suits needed here! :)

The Thai people are nice and accommodating (although they don't compare to Fijians in my opinion).

The hotel is nice. I'm staying in a quieter resort off of the beaten path. It's part of a complex of 5 resorts and you can use the facilities in each. I've been touring and taking advantage of some of these, but I think the Dusit where I'm staying is the nicest. It's not the flashist, but I think it's the most authentic Thai with the most beautiful view of the ocean. My room is about a 50 meter walk to the sea and I hear the waves crashing on the beach when I have my door open, which isn't often because the windows steam up if I do.

Since I arrived I've had 1 - 2 massages a day (some in the spa, some by locals on the beach or in town). I've also had a manicure and pedicure. I've napped most days, shopped in Patong (just a big tourist, shopping, night clubbing mecca), had great food and really enjoyed the atmosphere.

I've kept my promise to myself and have done a full yoga practice each day, trying to get my fitness back up. I've worked out my sore muscles through massage and it's been wonderful.

I did get some shopping in; buying 4 pillow cases, a beautiful oil painting of a circle with half of the Buddha's face and a carved Buddha in some kind of green stone (I can hear Brad groaning from 1/2 way across the world). The stone Buddha is the first piece for my alter when I get back home. I plan to add some Hindu deities when I get to India.

Well, off to dinner. The hotel has 5 restaurants, including a wonderful Italian one. Tonight is Thai, however at a beautiful pavillion.

No comments: