Thursday, June 19, 2008

One if By Land, Two if By Sea...Our adventures on the Freedom Trail







Pictures in order: Paul Revere's house, the Old North Church, the window that Robert Newman escaped from the Old North Church after hanging the lanterns in the steeple, the USS Constitution and the Bunker Hill Monument.

Monday was Freedom Trail day. The Freedom Trail is a 3 mile walking trail that takes you past a bunch of dead people and the places where they hung out. Why would we want to walk 3 miles to see this? It so happens that these dead people are some of the most prominent patriots in our nation’s history and these places were ground zero for some of our nation’s most important events like the revolution (where we through the bums out...the same bums I had to swear allegiance during my New Zealand citizenship ceremony).

I’ve done the Freedom Trail before, but this time it meant a lot more to me. Maybe because I’m older. Maybe because I appreciate the US more from an ex-patriot perspective. Maybe because I have a new appreciation for freedom after having suffered 7 1/2 years of tyranny under good ole “W”. Maybe all of the above. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the graves of Paul Revere, Sam Adams (no, he’s not just a beer), Ben Franklin’s parents, Mother Goose (not a patriot but still kind of cool) and countless others whom I can’t remember but of whom I have pictures. Not only that but we saw a number of old churches including the Old North Church where someone who’s name I also cannot remember Robert Newman hung the lanterns in the steeple which launched Paul Revere’s famed midnight ride to warn the colonists of the British invasion (the one before the Beatles). They’ve recently re-discovered the window that he escaped from in the church which had been boarded up. It’s now been preserved and President Ford hung a third lantern during his administration to “light the way for world peace”. We also saw Paul Revere’s house, the USS Constitution (the world’s oldest continuously commissioned battleship), Bunker Hill and a number of other historical sites.

We ended the day by walking up and down the famed Newbury Street. I’ve always wanted to walk down this street knowing I could afford to buy something on it. Living there just after college I was always to poor to even contemplate it. I did buy one of a kind make up and jewelry bag and 2 sets of three water colors depicting Beacon Hill, the Public Garden and Newbury Street itself. One set is of these three during winter and the other during summer. Should go nicely with my already eclectic art collection.

Lunch was at an Italian bistro in the North End between Paul Revere’s house and The Old North Church. Dinner that night was at the US’ oldest continuously operating restaurant, Union Oyster House. Union Oyster House has been visited by many, many historical figures and celebraties over the years, one of the most famous of which was Daniel Webster (lawyer and dictionary fame). Mr. Webster was known for drinking a large tumbler of Brandy and water with every 1/2 dozen oysters he ate. He, apparently regularly ate 6 oyster plates...makes you wonder just how he could spell after all of those Brandies! Scallops for Vanessa and a lobster salad for me. We could barely eat it after our Cold Stone ice cream a few hours before.

No comments: