Friday, July 4, 2008

First Led Practice, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July! No one much cares here though. Up at 4AM (3:30 for me again) for meditation and pre-practice and then down to the shala by 5:45. Fridays and Sundays are led classes where they take you in two massive groups (latecomers had to be on stage or in the foyer). Saraswati counts you through the entire practice and everyone flows together. It was slower than I’d expected, but the counts weren’t at my own rhythm so it was a bit stressful. Plus the fact that I was still getting over food poisoning. I had a lot more energy than I’d expected. Unfortunately I seem to have tweeked my lower back.  At first I thought it was my sacrum, but I've since determined it's probably good ole L5, that I always have problems with.  This is on the other side than the one that normally bothers me.  I'll have to watch that.

Breakfast was at the Southern Star. This wonderful (felt like civilisation again) hotel that appears out of no where. Buffet was fairly typical western, with a few Indian dishes thrown in. We met John and Lucy Scott. John is a senior teacher most known for teaching Sting and Trudi Styler as well as Madonna. He’s a Kiwi that lived in London for years. He and Lucy have come back to NZ and have a shala in Nelson. I’ve taken two of John’s workshops before.

After Breakfast Jude introduced me to yet another shop where I bought two beautiful pashminas and some cushions for my bed.

Lazy afternoon talking to Isla and Bill and Tina, two friends of Jude and Peters. Bill is from NZ and met Tina here awhile back. She’s from Sweden and they both live there now.

I went down to the shala to register for a chanting class and a yoga sutra class and Jude and Peter went out for a light supper.

We were going to watch a movie tonight but the power went out (not unusual) and sat around talking. Came back on around 8:30 but we couldn’t get the DVD to work so I’m off to bed.

I’m feeling more comfortable getting around by myself and starting to recognise some landmarks. I can’t be outside of Joseph’s house for too long as it’s still a bit overwhelming. The traffic, the noise, the filth, people everywhere.

That and, since I’m not doing anything really I really feel the affects of the practice working on my nervous system. My nerves felt extremely jangly all afternoon. Jude’s advice: let the practice work and just go with it. New experience for me.

No comments: