Friday, July 11, 2008

Market Day, July 10, 2008


Market Day
Originally uploaded by kim.smith61
Busy day today by Indian standards. No practice for me again...still on "ladies holiday." So, I slept late, woke up around 7:30, ate at Alia's (mmmm french toast), came back to rest and then went to the Green Hotel for lunch with Joseph, Jude and Peter, Marva (new house mate) and Karen (friend of Joseph's from New York). I wasn't hungry due to my french toast experience but I had some really good chinese vegetable soup and Paneer Tikka (not so great, really dry).

Afterwards I ventured downtown by myself for the first time. I asked the driver to take me to the "old market" (apparently over 1000 years old). He did, but then convinced me to let him take me to the "spicy market." He said it was just around the corner. After several corners and ending up in a very small fairly deserted alley I'd started to get a bit panicky, what had I gotten myself into? I said sternly, "where are you taking me?" and was planning to jump out of the rickshaw and make a run for the main street. He just turned around and said, "There madam, spicy market."

I turned around and sure enough, there was an entrance to a market right behind me and spicy it was. I was one big spice market...pretty interesting. I didn't buy anything but did take some pics.

Then he insisted on leading me into this house. It was dark and small and again I started to wonder what I'd gotten myself into. A man greeted me and took me past a woman rolling incense. He explained the process and then led me into a really long, narrow room with all sorts of vials. Apparently this business makes essential oils and has been in his family for over 150 years. He showed me all sorts of oils and explained their purposes. I ended up buying a small vial of water lilly to keep the mosquitoes away.

Finally after my hour long detour I managed to convince my driver to take me to the market. I didn't buy anything but got lots of interesting pics.

My ultimate destination was a shop at the end of the market that sells little brass deities. I couldn't find what I was looking for so ended up walking really slowly down a main road that ran parallel to the market. I kept getting accosted by vendors wanting to sell me anything from really bright bracelets to wooden flutes. They get you talking by asking what country you're from. I managed to ignore almost everyone but I succumbed to a guy wanting to exchange NZ dollars for rupees. He said he didn't have any money and pulled out this HUGE bucket of foreign coins. I gave him 70 rupees for $2. He definitely got a good deal and I got to do a good deed.

I did manage to find a headset for my laptop. Have yet to try it to see if it works though. I finally made it back to KR Circle (right in the centre of town) and got a great picture of a cow at a cross walk.) I walked about 1/2 mile up Devaraj Road to Badsha's for my fitting.

The tailor didn't have everything ready for me to try, but what he did was wonderful!!! He's made this beautiful linen jacket with silver embroidery and he top stitched it with silver thread. He also did two pairs of silk pants, a silk top and a little silk vest. Absolutely gorgeous! I'll pick those up on Tuesday and try the rest on then.

Home around 7:30, and bed after watching another DVD.

No comments: