Saturday, July 19, 2008

Kirtan, July 16, 2008



Short post today. Not much happened until I was leaving Anu’s after my usual after chanting smoothie (banana, date, fig and almond). Ganesh asked me if I was coming to Kirtan. My ears perked up immediately. Kirtan? I’ve been hoping to attend some Kirtan while I was here. I haven’t done that since Dallas days. Both with my very first Iyengar teacher, Lisa and the couple times I took darshan (blessing) with Ammachi.

I love Kirtan. Basically it’s the chanting of Gods and Goddesses names in very simple songs, some quite ancient, some more modern. The most recognisable chants or Om Nava Shiva and Hare Krishna but there are many many others.

Anyway I went down to Santosha and took part in my first Kirtan. There were only about 12 people there and it was really wonderful. Ganesh played drums and someone named Peter (very cute) played the traditional Indian instrument I can never remember the name of. Not great pics as I was not going to use a flash and needed a tripod. Hopefully they will do this regularly.

2 comments:

K A M A N I Y A said...

Namaste Kim,

The instrument you refer to is called a harmonium. It was actually adapted by the Indians from the British pump organ in colonial days. Maybe you'll play it yourself one of these days, kirtan lover that you are! You just never know where life will take you.

Blessings in Bhakti

Kim Seeling Smith said...

Namaste Kamaniya,

Thank you for that. I knew it was a very descriptive name but couldn't remember what it was called. Do you happen to know the name of the drums used as well? My friend told it to me but I can't remember that either.

Kim